Monday 12 March 2012

Training Week 8

I know! I know! This weeks blog is a day late, but fear not, here is your weekly dose of marathon excitement ;-)


So, week 8 is under the belt and all in all a pretty good weeks training with five runs from 6 to 20 miles and five gym sessions. Starting to feel strong, if slightly beaten up.


I've been mulling over the idea of purchasing a GPS running watch for a while now but realized this week that I have my own inbuilt GPS. I have developed the uncanny ability to tell exactly how far I've run based upon which particularly body part is hurting. I call it APS (Aches Positioning System).


0-1 mile: Arch of right foot hurts.
1-2 miles: Left foot goes numb.
2-5 miles: Left knee creaks.
5-10 miles: Right hip attempts to escape from socket.
10-15 miles: Shooting pains in arms that feels like I'm being tasered (Note: I've never actually been tasered but I can only assume from what I've seen on TV - screaming, rolling around on the floor, etc - that it's a similar level of pain ;-)
15 miles+: All of the above :-)


However, perhaps the most important event of Week 8 wasn't the training but the fact that I've finally booked the last marathon. I thought that this might be a good opportunity to share a few fun facts about each of the races. However, to avoid over excitement (and because it's well past bed time on a school night) I've decided to split it over two weeks, so here's Part 1 for your reading pleasure...



22nd April - London Marathon: 1,250 portable toilets! 100lbs of petroleum jelly! 200 bottles of baby oil! With stats like that it's not hard to understand why London is one of the biggest and best marathons in the world! For those who want to come and watch on the day there are 81 pubs on the route so plenty of places to park yourself ready to hand out those all important pints of beer...I mean fuel!

29th April - Shakespeare Marathon (Stratford-upon-Avon) - Named after some dead writer bloke who I think was competing against some monkeys locked in a room with typewriters, or something like that...Much ado about nothing if you ask me!

6th May - Three Forts Marathon (West Sussex) - known as "The Tough One", over 27 miles (an extra 0.8 miles of pain) with 3,450ft of climbing! 

13th May - Halstead Marathon (Essex) - I couldn't find any fun facts about Halstead, but Essex is easy pickings! Essex has the largest village and the smallest town in Britain! People in Essex are 38% more likely to be hit by falling aeroplane parts than anywhere else in Britain! In 1983 17 items were stolen from NASAs space shuttle while it was at Standsted airport, with a further 53 items from the jumbo jet carrying it...and finally UK bra companies sell 25% more D to G cup bras to Essex than anywhere else in the UK. Fascinating stuff I'm sure you'll agree ;-)

20th May - Brathay Windermere Marathon (Lake District) - The largest lake in England and one of the most challenging courses in Europe. It would seem that The Lakes are trying to do everything bigger and better these days with a 10 marathons in 10 days challenge on offer. Now they're just trying to show me up!


Part deux to follow next week...


Grand total now stands at an amazing £2,772.50! Thank you again for your continued support!


http://uk.virginmoneygiving.com/fundraiser-web/fundraiser/showFundraiserPage.action?userUrl=FrazerCampbell_10_in_10&faId=163391&isTeam=false



No comments:

Post a Comment