Saturday 11 February 2012

Training Weeks 1-4

So we're coming towards the end of training week four (not including the two weeks pre-training where I decided to take a run on New Years eve, did my back in, could hardy stand all night and then spent a few weeks hobbling round like an old man).

Week one was pretty uneventful, however weeks two and three were spent in New Orleans and cruising the Caribbean. Surprisingly despite the quantity of (free) food and alcohol consumed I was usually able to get two sessions in a day. By the end of the cruise I'd taken huge chunks off my PBs for 6, 8, 10, 12 and half marathon distance. This was mainly due to my inability to convert between miles and kilometres, causing much confusion on the ships treadmills. Just shows how much of it is in your mind!

Bourbon Street, New Orleans

Montego Bay, Jamaica mon! No problems!

Grand Cayman

Tulum, Mexico

Week four has included three half marathon + runs in some pretty cold weather! Today I had my first brain freeze from too much cold air!

So what have I learnt over the last four weeks?

1. I'm older than I was last year! Yes, I know, I probably should have worked that one out! One years older surprisingly! The aches and pains are definitely more prominent!
2. The left hand side of my body sweats more than the right!?!?!?
3. My left hand freezes before my right!?!?!? No I wasn't wearing one glove!
4. It's amazing how difficult it is to run on a treadmill on a ship when there's heave, sway and surge!
5. Whoever invented kilometres is a total moron! 42km or 26.1 miles? I'll take 26.1 miles any day of the week! 42 is a big number!
6. Successfully hand washing running gear is not easy! We thought there was a problem with the drain in the toilet ;-)

In need of a washing machine!

To finish I'd like to say a massive thank you everyone for their kind donations. In four days we've already raised £1,672.50! ...and that's not even including Seb & Ellie's kind pledge of 0.034p per race mile!

No comments:

Post a Comment